K-IDE support forum
Find all information about Kawasaki's Integrated Development Environment

Multi-tab(Project)

#1 by AlessioValbusa , Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:38 pm

Hi,
Would it be possible to open multiple projects so you can work on 2 projects at the same time and not have to open 2 KIDE windows?
Another thing is that would be perfect to be able to have different robot connection for each open project.
I know that is not a simple thing but it will take KIDE to another level for me.

Thank you.

AlessioValbusa  
AlessioValbusa
Date registered 07.25.2022

RE: Multi-tab(Project)

#2 by cquante , Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:34 am

Hi Alessio,

thank you for your suggestions!

1. What is the advantage of having two projects in one K-IDE instead of having two K-IDEs with one project each?
2. What is the use case of having more than one robot connected to the K-IDE at the same time?

The K-IDE is designed to have one project open and to connect to one robot at the same time.

Christian Quante
Technical Sales
Sales Department

Kawasaki Robotics GmbH
Rheiner Landstrasse 195A • 49078 Osnabrück
Germany

cquante
Date registered 12.20.2019

#3 by AlessioValbusa , Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:46 am

Hi cquante,
1. I find it more convenient and faster to switch from page to page, with maybe a macro command, than to switch from KIDE to KIDE.
2. Sometimes i work with more than one robot on the same robotic plant and if I could open more projects and have more connection to the robots I would have a more complete work environment without the need to open more kide and not having to switch from one to another.

Thank you

AlessioValbusa  
AlessioValbusa
Date registered 07.25.2022

#4 by cquante , Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:36 am

Hi Alessio,
thank you for your description!

I still did'n see any advantage in handling multiple projects in one K-IDE against single projects in multiple K-IDEs.

The only advantage may be that if you have multiple other open windows on your desktop and you have to search for your K-IDE windows when switch from one project to another. But you know Windows reorders the tasks in the task switcher whenever you switch from one task to another.

On the other hand, if you have to handle more than one project in the K-IDE main window you must have one place that represents each project you loaded. Lats say the must be another tab line between the main button bar and the working area.

K-IDE has to manage which projects are loaded and has to reserve a separate thread for communication.

When connected to the robots, K-IDE has to handle which communication is between which robot and which project.

Take a look at the two tree views on the left side: there's one for global tasks (project tree) and one is project related (AS tree). Logically they have to be divided and should no longer resist in a sigle tab control.

Normally, if you work with two projects on two monitors, one project will be visible and one project will be hidden. So you need to undock one project and place it an another monitor. Then you can see both projects and nearly have the same as two K-IDE instances. But K-IDE has to manage that on it's own instead of letting the OS manage the two instances.

From a developer point of view I must say that it is an overkill of changes to the K-IDE (develop, test, debug) for too less benefit.

Christian Quante
Technical Sales
Sales Department

Kawasaki Robotics GmbH
Rheiner Landstrasse 195A • 49078 Osnabrück
Germany

cquante
Date registered 12.20.2019

Collapse "ELSE" state
Sort program

Xobor Xobor Community Software
Datenschutz