K-IDE support forum
Find all information about Kawasaki's Integrated Development Environment

Some features suggestion

#1 by dm.bogachev , Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:48 am

Hi! I have some feature suggestions for KIDE

1. When I'm sending a signal list on robot it sends variable name + comment. It will be great if you will add an option, which will tell KIDE what to send to robot: only variable name, only comment or both.
2. Unused variables list. It may help with code cleaning or understanding of someone else's code from backup.
3. Print option (Program code, variables, etc.). It may not be an important feature, but if it will be implemented it will be very cool.

I would be very happy if you found these features useful!

dm.bogachev
Date registered 09.28.2021

RE: Some features suggestion

#2 by cquante , Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:38 am

Dear Dimitri,

thank you for your suggestions!

Zitat von dm.bogachev im Beitrag #1
Hi! I have some feature suggestions for KIDE

1. When I'm sending a signal list on robot it sends variable name + comment. It will be great if you will add an option, which will tell KIDE what to send to robot: only variable name, only comment or both.

That's a good idea! I will implement it, cause it's easy to do so. You may know that you can use only 24 characters for that signal name, so using the signal names and comments from K-IDE is much too much for that list. On the other hand K-IDE's signal names are sometimes kinda cryptic and not very useful for the operator. So you can select only to use signal comments to be used as signal names in the list.

2. Unused variables list. It may help with code cleaning or understanding of someone else's code from backup.

That's also a good idea but not so easy to implement. Because of the AS syntax it's hard to find variable names that are equal to commands, section names, ... K-IDE does not do any syntax analysation and will not do in the future. The other issue will be the same-name-problem when a name of a real variable is the same as of a trans variable. So the result of finding unused variables may be faulty. If you can't trust such a result, it is useless in my opinion.
What do you think?

3. Print option (Program code, variables, etc.). It may not be an important feature, but if it will be implemented it will be very cool.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of printing something that's not a book to read in. Therefor I never thought about printing the K-IDE data. Thinking about the old days back when printing was necessary, I remember that it was mostly not only sending some text to the printer. It could lead into a huge kind of work when dealing around with the right formatations of the text. Maybe other programs (like Notepad++) can do a much better job. You can copy programs from K-IDE and past them directly into Notepad++ for printing.
What do you think about that work-around?

Christian Quante
Technical Sales
Sales Department

Kawasaki Robotics GmbH
Rheiner Landstrasse 195A • 49078 Osnabrück
Germany

cquante
Date registered 12.20.2019

RE: Some features suggestion

#3 by dm.bogachev , Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:34 pm

Zitat
That's also a good idea but not so easy to implement. Because of the AS syntax it's hard to find variable names that are equal to commands, section names, ... K-IDE does not do any syntax analysation and will not do in the future. The other issue will be the same-name-problem when a name of a real variable is the same as of a trans variable. So the result of finding unused variables may be faulty. If you can't trust such a result, it is useless in my opinion.
What do you think?

Now I'm doing this by using "Search points of use" function and if there is, for example, no program calls or point is only in "Translation points" (like 2023-07-26_12-00-55.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)). And that's how I check the uselessness of point/variable/program. I know that there may be some problems if, for example, program is called by name, but if there will be an option to choose what exactly is required to delete, it will be enough.

Zitat

Well, now I am doing it in notepad, so if it's gonna take a long time without a big exit, I will understand :)
I'm not a fan of printing too, but a lot of my clients have a requirement of printed version of code (idk why)

Anyway, thank you for KIDE and everything you did for it!

dm.bogachev
Date registered 09.28.2021

Features and wishes
BLOCK step motion snippets

Xobor Xobor Community Software
Datenschutz